Greenstand is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization developing open-source technology to address climate change and alleviate poverty through digitizing environmental goods and services. We are made up of about 350 contributors across the globe. Our Treetracker app verifies and tracks individual trees, thus creating transparency in the reforestation sphere. Organizations and donors can locate individual trees and trade their ecological impact. By facilitating ownership of trees and their ecological services, Greenstand allows for tree-growing organizations to stay accountable.
Our data-driven system is shifting the focus from simply planting trees to growing diverse forests. We value the process of growing trees by verifying the incremental growth of each tree. The data is then packaged into a tree wallet system so that it can be accessed and traded by users anywhere in the world. Greenstand is unlocking the untapped potential of mass employment in forest restoration on a per-tree basis. For more information on our tech, visit our technical solutions page.
Why do we do this? To learn more about the way Greenstand changes the lives of smallholder farmers, check out the story that drives us.
Greenstand’s mission is to enhance the ecological health and integrity of degraded lands while supporting the welfare of local communities. We do this through ecological research, social engagement, and facilitating technological solutions that enhance the restoration of these fragile ecosystems.
Our goal is to create a self-sustaining restoration platform that connects local communities in developing countries with socially- and environmentally-concerned global citizens. Restoration efforts are informed, and adjusted, based on the results of basic ecological research. We aim to enable communities to become stewards of their land while providing opportunities for gainful employment.
We envision a world where:
- Once-disenfranchised people can support themselves and their families through aforestation and participate in the global environmental credit market
- The global paradigm has shifted from tree planting to growing diverse and valuable forests
- All individuals, organizations, and donors growing trees can track and trade their ecological impact
- Greenstand has created an ISO standard for tree planting, growing, and reforestation value
- We can verify and watch trillions of trees grow